Attention to etiquette should not be lacking in any area of our lives.
Unfortunately, good manners are often overlooked but, in fact, every context has its own rules of behaviour. Even for simple things, such as serving coffee at home or at the bar, there are rules of good manners that must be followed. Let’s find out what they are.
What is the correct way to serve coffee?
The first basic rule of coffee etiquette at the bar is to always start with a good quality product.
Imagine the disappointment of a guest or customer in a bar who is served a coffee with the right accessories, friendliness and good manners but which tastes terrible.
Therefore, choosing a good raw material and using an espresso machine that can extract a tasteful drink are the basis.
Maintenance of the equipment is also important, as a well-maintained machine and a clean portafilter preserve the characteristics of the blend every time coffee is prepared.
The cup or glass is chosen according to the taste of the guest. In any case, it is a good idea to fill them two-thirds full and clean the edges of splashes and dust before serving the coffee. The matching saucer, on which the spoon should be placed, is a must-have and should never be missing. One recommendation is to place the spoon on the cup, always to the right of the guest.
Coffee is a convivial moment and, to serve it at its best, it must always be accompanied by courtesy and attention.
Also bear in mind that water goes perfectly with coffee.
It is said that true connoisseurs drink a little water before sipping coffee, to better savour the aroma. While those who only drink coffee out of habit drink it afterwards to remove the bitter taste.
If you want your customers to feel spoilt and remember the difference between your café and an ordinary café, offer a chocolate or a sweet next to the cup. The full-bodied taste of coffee goes well with something sweet.
Coffee is generally a hot drink, unless you prefer cold versions. So it is important to serve it fresh from the coffee machine.
At breakfast time, don’t forget a small pot of milk. Many people like to stain their coffee in the morning.
How to prepare and serve coffee at the bar
If you want your customers to remember your establishment for its impeccable manners, here are the steps to follow when serving coffee at the bar:
- Once you have received your order, remove the filter holder from the professional coffee machine and empty the filter so that no residue remains;
- Place the coffee powder in the filter through a dispenser and press the powder with the hand press. Be careful not to apply too little pressure or too much.
- Re-attach the arm to the dispenser and turn it to the right, making sure it is tightened properly.
- Take the cups from the handles and check that they are clean, then place them under the group.
- Switch on the espresso machine and wait for the drink to be extracted. Consider that the correct time for dispensing is 25 seconds.
- Prepare the tray and spoon to serve the customers and stop dispensing.
Always pay attention to the cleanliness of the equipment. Coffee residues can compromise and alter the taste of the drink.
In order to preserve the organoleptic characteristics of coffee, it is a good idea to grind the beans just before use, as coffee beans tend to spoil less than powdered coffee.
When serving coffee, remember to clean the bottom of the cup and place the cup and saucer gently in front of the customer.
How to serve coffee to guests at home
Inviting a friend over for coffee or serving coffee to guests at home after a meal is not very demanding and is a pleasant way to make conversation and spend time with friends. Even in this case, however, you need to follow a few rules of behaviour to be a good host.
As we have mentioned, the first element to pay attention to is the quality of the drink. So, start now by buying a good quality coffee, in powder or beans, and choose the right professional coffee machine.
Consider that the Pontevecchio lever coffee machine allows you to have a great success thanks to a full-bodied coffee with a unique aroma.
In addition, our coffee machines have a retro design and are available in a wide range of colours that perfectly match any type of furniture.
This allows you to look great in front of your guests and make your home a sort of café where you can spend time with friends.
After laying the fundamentals, let’s move on to the kit:
- choose a matching milk jug and sugar bowl,
- prepare the porcelain cups,
- polish the spoons,
- prepare napkins;
- fill a tray with sweets and chocolates (we recommend chocolate ones, which go great with coffee!).
Don’t forget that coffee should be served by the host and should be hot. So don’t wait and serve your coffee as soon as it comes out of the dispenser.
A few more secrets you can follow
In addition to the rules of coffee etiquette we have given you, there are some other secrets you can follow to serve coffee impeccably:
- Always adjust the amount of powder you put into the coffee machine. The right dose for a perfect espresso is 7 grams, which doubles for long coffee and needs to be calibrated for variants such as macchiato, cappuccino or marocchino.
- Pay attention to the setting of the machine, which must have precise values in order to make a coffee with an excellent taste (boiler pressure between 0.9 and 1.0 bar, pump pressure between 8 and 10 bar, spout temperature of maximum 90°).
- Check that the coffee flows out of the spout evenly, as if it were a tap. The effect should be slow, like honey dripping from a spoon.
- Once in the cup, look at the colour of the coffee. The right colour should be reddish-brown and should be the same in every cup.
- The coffe cream is one of the things that coffee lovers appreciate the most. With Pontevecchio lever coffee machines the drink is covered by a 2-3 mm thick cream, compact and without air bubbles, like the one in the bar.
With a coffee so well made, it will be easy for your guests and clients to contravene the rules of bon ton not to leave anything at the bottom of the cup!
In any social situation it is important to maintain etiquette and follow good rules of behaviour. Even serving coffee has its own bon ton rules, which indicate how to serve coffee at home and at the bar.
The main guideline to follow is to get a good quality blend and a coffee machine capable of producing a perfect product.
The maintenance of the equipment is very important to ensure that the aroma is unique and is not altered by unpleasant flavours.
A clean cup and a friendly gesture are always appreciated by the customer.
In addition, for a successful coffee break with friends, always pay attention to the instructions of the coffee machine manufacturers. Our advice is to pay attention to the settings of the machine and never exceed the indicated values for temperature and water pressure.
If you want to serve coffee at home or at the bar in the best possible way, discover our lever coffee machines. Your guests will appreciate your attention to detail and, above all, your coffee.