Are you looking for a pod coffee machine that suits your needs?
Easy to use, hygienic and environmentally friendly, pods are very popular among coffee consumers.
It is, actually, an easy way to prepare espresso with your coffee machine without dirtying anything and which gives the certainty of obtaining high-quality drink.
This coffee preparation method helps to reduce the waste of coffee.
What distinguishes the pods is the fact that the coffee is portioned in single doses containing about 7 grams of powder, the perfect amount to obtain a well-calibrated espresso.
- What are the main characteristics of pod coffee machines?
- Can pods be used with traditional coffee machines?
Given the countless advantages of pods, we at Pontevecchio have designed our lever coffee machines so that they can be used not only with ground coffee but also with pods.
The procedure for extracting coffee with a lever coffee machine doesn’t change when choosing pods or ground coffee: turn on the boiler, wait till the water reaches the right temperature, place the filter into the filter holder, hook the arm and lower the lever.
The only difference – but substantial – lies in the accessory used: the filter.
To use the paper pods, therefore, simply choose the right filter and the coffee is done!
The special feature of the pod filter is that it is lower than the filter for ground coffee.
However, the result is perfect in both cases, thanks to a machine studied in every detail and built by Italian master craftsmen.
In this article we will explain how the Pontevecchio lever coffee machine with pods works and almost are the advantages of this system.
How Pontevecchio lever machines are compatible with pods
- How does the lever coffee machine work?
- Can it also be used with pods?
The answer is yes!
The Pontevecchio lever coffee machine is compatible with pods. Our idea of coffee, in fact, is not linked only to the type of blend used.
We are talking about an experience that starts from turning on the machine to extracting the coffee.
Everything must be done perfectly, starting from the temperature and pressure of the water.
The lever management is the variable that has the greatest impact on the preparation process because it is in the speed with which the lever is lowered and left that acts most on the aroma of the extracted coffee.
Our goal is to promote the use of the lever machine among all espresso lovers, regardless of the type of coffee they prefer to use.
Those who care about tradition generally prefer ground coffee, but pods are becoming an increasingly popular system.
What changes in the process?
Even when you use pods for preparing coffee, the lever coffee machine works in the same way. The difference is in the filter that is used.
Who has a preference for coffee pods can simply insert the pod filter in the filter holder, supplied with our coffee machines.
The filter is an element that many underestimate, however it is one of the most useful inventions for the preparation of coffee. The filters of the first coffee machines were large and very different from those we use today.
The filter we supplied with our coffee machine is made of stainless steel and is compatible with E.S.E. pods (Easy Serving Espresso), so it can be used with almost all pods available on the market.
What are pods?
Coffee packaged in single-serving portions: pods are an extraordinary invention that dates back to 1974 and has profoundly changed the marketing of coffee.
They have been placed on the market by a famous coffee brand with the idea of making the preparation of the drink even easier and more practical.
Pods are, therefore, single-serving coffee doses with a diameter of 44 millimetres. The standard coffee content is 7 grams, what is considered the perfect quantity to obtain a bar espresso.
The powder is pressed and wrapped between two layers of filter paper, ready to be inserted into the pod coffee machine.
The most popular pods are the standard ESE pods because they are suitable with many machines on the market.
However, there are many kinds of pods.
The beauty of pods is that there is an almost infinite choice, and every coffee consumer can enjoy the blend preferred.
This coffee format is highly appreciated for its practicality, moreover, it does not dirty and allows you to obtain an espresso as good as that of the bar.
The standard content is also very suitable for those who cannot manage the quantities well on their own. In this way, however, it is possible to avoid waste and manage the taste of the coffee in an optimal way.
Until a few years ago, consumers were very confused between pods and capsules due to a somewhat equivocal advertising on the two terms.
But the difference between the two systems is quite clear and is given by the casing.
While the pods are wrapped in paper, the capsules are made of aluminium and plastic.
Thanks to a specific filter, the pods can also be used with the lever coffee machine in a very simple way.
Why are pods so used?
The use of pods is now very widespread, their consumption has grown by 20% in the last year.
The coffee pod market covers about 5% of the global coffee market, reaching 58 million euros.
- What are the reasons for this success?
- Why are pods used so much?
- Waste is reduced. Each pod contains 7 grams of coffee and there are different formats available. Using a pre-dosed quantity avoids putting too much powder in the filter holder, so that the coffee is not thrown away.
- They do not dirty. During the use of the pods, no dust debris remains in the sink or on the kitchen countertops. Once the coffee is ready, simply rinse the filter and the filter holder without having to clean the sink again.
- They are easy to use. Putting the pods in the coffee machine is very simple and there is no need to dose the amount of coffee. Simply insert the pod into the filter, connect the arm to the brewing group and start the machine.
- The extraction process is fast. Once the arm is inserted, the extraction process takes only one minute.
- Coffee tastes good. Dosing the coffee by hand you risk making it too strong or loaded. Or, instead, the exact opposite occurs: the coffee is bland and watery. A pre-measured quantity helps not only to save, but also to balance the flavour.
- Eco-friendly pods can be recycled. The paper filter that contains the ground coffee is compostable and can be recycled with wet waste. Thanks to the biodegradable materials from which each pod is made, the latter can also be used as natural fertilizers.
- There are pods for all tastes. The choice of the right coffee blend, as far as pods are concerned, is very wide.
In a few words, the advantages of the pods are many.
What are the disadvantages of using pods?
Despite being extremely comfortable and functional, the use of pods has drawbacks.
The most obvious are the cost and the increase in the amount of waste.
There are many types of pods on the market and prices may vary, depending on the brand and quantity chosen. At the supermarket, you can buy pods from 0.20 to 0.45 cents each.
Buying loose pods is really expensive and the price is much higher than regular coffee.
Usually, pods are sold in multipacks, and the larger ones are also the most affordable ones. Many stores also offer compatible capsules at competitive prices, suitable for any type of coffee machine.
Multiple purchases, however, take you to opt for the same blend until the end of the package.
The component that affects the price in a decisive way is the packaging which, according to the material, represents the second disadvantage linked to the use of pods and capsules: the increase in waste.
The capsules, as well as the pods, are sold in single-dose disposable formats. Therefore, the material with which they are made can have a strong environmental impact.
Unfortunately, most of the capsules on the market are made of single-use plastic and this leads to a considerable accumulation of waste. In fact, every cup of coffee produces waste that grows every day.
Eco-sustainability is becoming an increasingly topical issue, and this is holding back consumers who are more attentive to the use of pods.
However, it is possible to find eco-friendly pod options because they are made of compostable or recyclable materials.
Alternatively, there are also refillable pods that can be used multiple times. Just rinse them with water and fill them again after use.
This option is economical, ecological and allows you to choose your favorite coffee powder.
How does a coffee machine with pods work?
A pod coffee machine works very intuitively.
When the boiler reaches the right temperature, the pressure pumps the hot water inside the coffee pod. At this point, the water drips through the pod, bringing with it all the characteristics of the coffee: aroma, colour, taste, and flavour.
Let’s see together, step by step, how a pod coffee machine works:
- Fill the tank of the coffee machine and remember not to exceed the maximum level. Pontevecchio coffee machines have a warning light that turns on when there is no water, so that the boiler is always ready for use and is not damaged by the lack of liquid.
- Place the cup under the dispenser spout, making sure to position it correctly. In this way you will avoid wasting the drink and dirtying the machine.
- Put the pod filter inside the filter holder.
- The pod in the filter holder and connect it to the coffee machine.
- Operate the pod coffee machine by lowering the lever. The hot water passes through a series of pipes and then reaches the filter. When reaching the pod, the water infuses the coffee and extracts the substances contained, so it comes out of the spout, filling the cup below.
- At this point you can adjust the volume of water and decide if you want to sip a more or less intense coffee.
With the pod coffee machine, you can sip your favourite coffee-based drinks, taking just a few minutes.
And the result is as good and tasty as you want it to be.
After extraction, just wait for the machine to cool to remove residues and splashes without any effort.
Or you can continue to prepare all the coffees you prefer without waiting the equipment getting cold.
What is the best coffee machine with pods
It’s hard to say which is the best pod coffee machine. Our models are all extremely functional and designed to make a very high-quality espresso, both with pods and with ground coffee.
For this reason, let’s see the characteristics of the Pontevecchio pod coffee machines.
These are our models:
- Export lever machine: the lever coffee machines of the Export model have a linear design and a compact structure, ideal for those who have little space at home. The operation is totally mechanical, they have a single electrical element to turn the boiler on and bring the water to the right temperature. They have only one brewing group in order to prepare one or two coffees at the same time. In addition to the pod filter, supplied with the Export pod coffee machine, we also deliver the filters for the preparation of one or two cups, the measuring cup, the tamper, and the funnel for filling the boiler.
- Lusso 1 lever machine: the Lusso 1 model has a single brewing group, suitable for extracting up to two coffees at the same time. It is made with precious and durable materials, such as steel and brass, which guarantee great resistance. The mechanical engine guarantees a long duration over time, and the drink is not subjected to any alteration during preparation.
- Lusso 2 lever machine: The Lusso II professional machine is the best choice for B&Bs, farmhouses, and small accommodation facilities. It has an electric control unit that is used to activate the boiler, manage the water temperature, and check that the boiler is always full. It is delivered together with: 2 filters for one cup, 2 filters for two cups, 2 pod filters, coffee measuring cup, tamper, funnel.
All our models are available in different colour variations.
Where can I buy your pod compatible coffee machine
At this point we are sure that you have an irrepressible desire for coffee.
But where can you buy Pontevecchio lever coffee machines?
The answer is very simple: online!
Our coffee machines are available in the store, and you can order them directly from your home. Just select the model to see the colour variations and underestimate the one that best matches the style of your home or business.
By clicking on the model and colour, you will be able to see every detail of our coffee machines and notice how carefully they are assembled. The perfection of the workmanship is evident from every detail, from the lever to the safety valves.
In fact, our company has always taken great care of the entire production of coffee machines: the design, the choice of the most versatile and resistant materials, the design, the way they are assembled.
All this is evident both for traditionalists who prefer to use the classic accessories of the lever machine, and for pod lovers, who are more attentive to innovations.
It is no coincidence, in fact, that we have designed our lever machine so that it can also work with pods, equipping it with a specific accessory.
To meet the needs of each of our customers, we accept various payment methods, so as to facilitate purchases. On the store, therefore, it is possible to pay by credit or with debit card or, even more simply, with PayPal.
Do not miss the opportunity to have a coffee machine compatible with pods at home and to drink a coffee of the highest quality every day.